Do you have a little advent calendar enthusiast on your hands? If so, then this blog post is for you! As the days get closer to Christmas, advent calendars are popping up everywhere. But if you don’t want to spend an arm and a leg on one from the store, or if you just need some more advent calendar filler ideas for kids – we’ve got 27 of them right here!
Kids just can’t wait until December 25th and enjoy tracking the days of preparation in advance! There is something so satisfying about watching their excitement grow as they see Santa Claus closer on his journey towards our house.
Advent calendars, are a great way to help teach your children about the importance of delaying gratification and waiting until it’s time to open the calendar door.
I have always loved the holiday season, it’s one of my favorite times to reflect on how blessed I am. I love looking forward to this time of year knowing that my kids won’t be little forever and these moments are fleeting.
If you’re searching for a simple way to incorporate the holiday season into your children’s lives, an advent calendar is definitely worth a try.
You may purchase advent calendars that are already filled, so you don’t have to do it yourself. You can buy empty advent calendars that you can use year after year. You can also make your own DIY advent calendar.
If you pick one of the last two alternatives, you’ll need to come up with some items to put in your advent calendar.
What to Include in an Advent Calendar
As someone who tries to minimize the amount of waste our family produces, the idea of giving my kids junk toys in the name of tradition leaves me feeling like a slave to consumerism.
It’s horrible for the environment and it goes against the idea I try to teach my kids, that we should only buy things that we truly need and love.
The Best Advent Calendar Fillers for Kids
1) Money: This is probably the most common advent calendar filler. You can use coins (quarters, dimes or pennies), gift cards or bills to make it fun for your kids!
2) Glow in the Dark Temporary Tattoo’s: Tattoos are a fun advent calendar filler for kids as they love to decorate their bodies and try out temporary tattoos.
3) Mini Hot Chocolate: Every kid loves hot chocolate, so this is an advent calendar idea that your children will definitely appreciate! Fill the pockets with mini-marshmallows or candy canes to make it extra special.
4) Chocolate: Chocolate is, without a doubt, the most popular sweet treat among children. The great news is that by filling their advent calendars yourself, your kids can get whatever chocolate they love. If you’re reading this before Halloween has come to an end, try saving some of your children’s favorite goodies tiny versions.
5) Glow sticks: Glowsticks come in such a wide variety of colors nowadays – it’s great for advent calendars! You can also add some glow-in-the dark stars or other items that glow in the dark.
6) Play-Doh: Those small little containers of Play-doh are perfect for your advent calendars.
7) Socks: Socks are a wonderful advent calendar filler for kids, especially if they are specialty socks that match a hobby of theirs, like Minecraft or Paw Patrol! You can also add little toys that fit into the sock, such as loom bands or other items.
8) Lego Surpise Packs: Small little packs of Lego will fit perfect into your kids advent calendars. If they love Lego, then this advent calendar filler will definitely be a hit!
9) Bath bombs: Bath bombs or bath salts make wonderful advent calendar fillers for kids as it’s something that they can actually use and enjoy during the holiday season.
10) Christmas tree decorations: This is another advent calendar idea that your children may really love. You can add a variety of Christmas decorations, such as lights and baubles.
11) Crayons and coloring book pages: Crayons are always a great idea for advent calendars and coloring book pages can also be added.
12) Water Bottle Stickers: These water bottle stickers are sure to be a hit. They are waterproof, perfect for laptops, water bottles, skateboards and more.
13) Silly Putty: Silly putty makes a wonderful advent calendar filler for kids as it can be used to play with in different ways, whether that is by stretching or molding it into shapes. But make sure they are old enough to be responsible with it. We still have silly putty that is stuck into the carpet.
14) Lollipops: Lollipops are another advent calendar idea that may be a hit with your children. They’re great advent calendar fillers for kids, especially if they’re flavored lollipops that fit their tastes (watermelon or bubblegum flavors would be perfect!).
15) Mini-Puzzles: Mini-puzzles are advent calendar fillers that your children will love! You can get a lot of small puzzles, like the 100 piece ones or even some 20 piece ones for their advent calendars.
16) LED Hair Scrunchies: Hair scrunchies are advent calendar fillers that your children may really appreciate. They’re small enough to fit into the advent calendars and they can enjoy wearing them over the holidays!
17) No Tie Shoe Laces: No tie shoe laces are advent calendar fillers that your children will love. It saves them time in the morning when they’re getting ready, so it’s a very practical advent calendar idea for kids!
18) Mini Note Books: Drawing books make wonderful advent calendar filler ideas for kids as you can add some mini-crayons or pencils with it.
19) Fidget Toys: Fidget toys are hugely popular with kids right now. Whether it’s a fidget spinner or some little stress balls, these kinds of advent calendars will be very popular among children!
20) Holiday Face Masks: Holiday face masks are advent calendar fillers that will make your kids, their friends and their teachers smile. My daughter loves her Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman mask.
21) Bath Salt: You can add some scented ones that fit into the holiday season, but just make sure they’re old enough to not drink it.
22) Mini Hand Sanitizer Holder: This advent calendar idea is perfect for kids, especially if it’s a hand sanitizer holder that they can add on to their backpack.
23) Reindeer Poop Candy: Kids find everything poop amusing. They’ll be giggling all day long about this delectable treat.
24) Lip Gloss: If you’ve never tried these, you might want to get a few. The smells and tastes of Hershey’s, Reese’s and LipSmacker Flavors are amazing.
25) Nail Polish: A perfect advent calendar filler for anyone who enjoys adding an extra dose of colorful fun to an outfit. Non-toxic and water-based, safe for kids.
26) Nail Stickers: If your daughter loves doing her nails, then this advent calendar filler is perfect! It’s a nail sticker set that she can use to decorate them around the holidays.
27) Gel Pens: Gel pens make wonderful advent calendar filler ideas for kids as they’re a lot of fun to use and the colors are bright.
I hope this list gives you lots of ideas to fill those custom advent calendars. The best part? They’re all available online, so it’ll be easy for anyone with an internet connection and a tiny bit of time!
Leave a Reply